[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
• View topic - Laminated axes

Laminated axes

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Laminated axes

Postby Lunkan » 16 May 2008, 22:55

Three axes newly hand made by my self. They have all been done at the course I went to at Gränsfors bruk a few weeks ago. They are laminated axes with carbon steel edge and head made in mild steel. As soon I get my blacksmith in order I will start some production, this will be during the late summer or autumn. If there is anyone interested in an axe, do not hesitate to make an order or give me an idea! Making viking and medieval sorts of axes will be my profession! I have also made a little bunch of laminated knives, I got one left for sale. I do make whole knives with shafts and sheaths in various designs.

Let me know if you are interested!

Lunkan
Medlem

Re: Laminated axes

Postby Skalde-Tord » 17 May 2008, 16:52

Nice crafts Lunkan!

Are you able to make a blunt medieval axe ca 1350+?

Maybe I should order a axe as a present for my dad...he really needs a good axe in his cabin.
Skalde-Tord

Postby Lunkan » 17 May 2008, 20:33

nej det vore absolut inga problem, har du någon modell du är särskilt sugen på?

givetvis tillverkar jag även vedyxor/slöjdyxor om så önskas, om det är något sådant din far skulle uppskatta!
Lunkan
Medlem

Postby jboerner » 20 May 2008, 15:26

Very interesting, what do I have to calculate for a wood axe?
jboerner

Postby Skalde-Tord » 21 May 2008, 17:17

For myself Im looking for a battleaxe, a larger with a twohanded shaft , from the mid 1300's, made for reenactment fighting.

Maybe something like this modelknight is holding:
http://www.tinsoldiercollection.com/cat ... g162-2.jpg
Skalde-Tord

Postby Lunkan » 22 May 2008, 21:39

For a wood axe, with a weight about 0,8 - 1,0 kg, I would say about 800 kr (sharpened, shafted and with a leather cover for the edge).

And about the battle axes, I will make the model you like. BUT if you wouldn´t be satisified or if you think the price is wey to high, you wont be needed to buy the axe (this goes to all the axes I make). The price for a fighting axe will of course be lower compared to a sharpened. Later on when I have made a bunch of axes I will be able to give you a price right away for the most of the models, but right now I cannot tell you exacly what the prices would be.

I make the axes together with Kristofer Åberg, I will post a picture of some of his axes later on!
Lunkan
Medlem

Postby Johan Käll » 23 May 2008, 00:18

Note, The swedish krona is about ten to a euro. 800 would be in the vicinity of 80 euro.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Bertus Brokamp » 18 Aug 2008, 14:02

Hi!

First of, it was great seeing you all last weekend at Seeth-Ekholt. I have had a great time!

Second, I was talking over having you make me an axe Lunkan. Here's the archaeological find I would like to have a replica of:

axe-14thcentury-utrecht-cuttingedgelength12.5cm.jpg
axe-14thcentury-utrecht-cuttingedgelength12.5cm.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 16175 times

It is from Utrecht and was dated to the 14th century in accordance with the ceramics found nearby. The length of the cutting edge is 12.5 cm. No other measurements are given in the article.

PM me for details and your e-mail adress :) .

I'm looking forward to be finally able to chop wood with an authentic axe.
Bertus Brokamp

Postby Steenberg » 18 Aug 2008, 14:35

That's a nice looking clean axe! Nice to see something other then weapons.
Steenberg

Postby Lunkan » 01 Sep 2008, 22:12

Yes that is a nice little piece! I am glad to annouce that my smith now is in order and the long days of hard work will now begin! A lot of tools are now to be made but you will for sure have your axe during the winter.

12,5 cm long edge, that would say that the axe itself would be about 21 cm long. A quite big axe, I would say that the original would be a two handed war axe. But it does not look that big on the picture (looking at the structure of the iron). For chopping wood I prefer a bit smaller axe, but it would be good for cleaving for sure.
Lunkan
Medlem

Next

Return to Wood and metal