Tools.

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Tools.

Postby Steenberg » 18 Aug 2008, 14:40

As a spin-off to the axe thread nearby I came to think about what tools of the time looked like? A hammer for instance? Supposedly these guys didn't hammer their nails in with the butt end of thir battle axe so what did they use? Any tips for litterature or pictures is welcome. And for other tools as well. A woodsaw and what ever other stuff you might think of. I guess most tools have more or less the same function today as they did then and I've seen tools with a "medieval look" but am looking for what they really looked like.
Steenberg

Re: Tools.

Postby Johan Käll » 19 Aug 2008, 10:03

well.... that was kind of a humungos question...

tools are depicted quite often... but to direct you to all pictures and findings of tools... Let me say it like this... when you get into the hobby more and more... you WILL see tools.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Lunkan » 01 Sep 2008, 21:59

A hammer would look like a ordinary sledge hammer today, also the thong is about the same as you see in a traditional smith. Have you seen the Mästermyr findings from the viking age? You can see the saw, i think there is examples from medieval times as well. Exacly the same principle as a modern saw but the blade is thicker.

Lunkan
Medlem

Postby Steenberg » 03 Sep 2008, 02:05

Yup I'm familiar with the Mästermyrfind and thinking of if it wouldn't be nice to make a chest with more or less the same contents for my viking costume and I was pondering on if I should do something similar for my "character" in the handgonnes. Not sure yet though.
Steenberg

Postby Johan Käll » 03 Sep 2008, 03:21

Most of the things are the same in 14:th century it seems. Sure there are some 'new' designs as well, but many of the old ones is still used. As they are today really... dont your smithhammer look about the same?

Even the chest (sixboard chest) is similar to ones used in 14:th century

I think Alex is working on a toolchest to, and probobly Simon as well ;) We'll be well equiped for the field if you also get one!

excellent.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Steenberg » 03 Sep 2008, 12:11

Yes a lot of the stuff is exactly the same today as it looks in the Mästermyrchest. But well then, I think I'll start with the chest and work my way towards the rest of the stuff. It would be really nice to have my own handmade woodsaw and a set of handmade woodfiles when I'm done. Far away still tho!
Steenberg

Postby Alex Nordin » 04 Sep 2008, 12:07

If you look in the margrete book you find lots of nice pictures of tools, clawend hammers with sockets, different drills and some axes are the ones i remember most. Otherwise i recommend the searchable database that belongs to historiska museet.

I use a lot of tools in my daily work with building houses that havent changed a bit since the viking age, different axes and spoon augers for example. I´ll se if i can fix some pics of my tools and present them here in the coming weeks.
Might take some time since im mostly out in the field now documenting some 13th century and 14th century storage houses, not a bad job.

Mvh Alex
"Bättre bly än illa fäkta"
Gammalt bösse-ordspråk
Alex Nordin
Medlem

Postby Steenberg » 04 Sep 2008, 12:50

No hurry Alex. I've got nowhere to smith right now so I'm waiting to get a hold of a new smithy and see what it offers. But sometime this winter or next year, the project should be up and running.
Steenberg

Return to Wood and metal