Candlestick from Trelleborg

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Candlestick from Trelleborg

Postby Lunkan » 09 Sep 2008, 22:17

The first craft that me and my colleauge have made in our new smithy! A candlestick after a find in Trelleborg Sweden. It is from the 14th century. We used 20*15mm iron, hammered out with a sledgehammer, a quite serious work! The three legs are riveted togheter with the one in the middle.

From underneath

The original

Anders: I have heard that you also have made this model?

By the way, what would the candles be made of during the 14th century?
Lunkan
Medlem

Re: Candlestick from Trelleborg

Postby Peter » 10 Sep 2008, 08:45

Wax, tallow (talg), lard (ister), and a mix of that. I heard old butter was also used in the mixture. Anders has written a couple of articles on the subject on his blog.
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Louise » 10 Sep 2008, 10:41

That is really great! If you need any new subjects in is type of iron work let me know - there re some nice candlesticks here from Denmark. There is a great one from Gurre in Sealand which is in the National Museum in Copenhagen and I think that one is 14th century as well.

Do you make comissions on this kind of work as well?
Louise

Postby Steenberg » 10 Sep 2008, 10:47

Quite nice! So you guys used ironbars with the correct width but far thicker than what is used in the candlestick and hammered it out to correct thickness with a sledge? It looks as if you have almost the same thickness in the holders as in the rest of the material? Correct?

Really nice!
Steenberg

Postby Lunkan » 10 Sep 2008, 22:08

Well sure, why don´t you post a picture or two here? It´s always intresting! And yes I do take orders of whatever you would like, and I´ll try making it. It is always fun making new stuff! Don´t you order a cannon though, at least not at the moment ;)

Yes the material had to be quite thick so we could make a T-shape for the holder, then we stretched the rest out. The holder itself is about half the thickness compared to the legs, according to the original I think they are about the same thickness but it is, as you may know, a lot of work hammering it out without a machine hammer! But after all I havn´t seen the original itself. Another idea would be welding the T-shape, putting two pieces togheter. That would be more effective, if you manage with the method. I´ll try that next time!
Lunkan
Medlem

Postby Steenberg » 11 Sep 2008, 09:05

I suppose you are talking about forge-welding and not welding with an electrical or gas welder? Forge-welding could of course be a solution but I've always thought it to be difficult. Mainly because the smithy I use isn't that high or even in temperature. But I've had my share of sledging so when we have a period mobile smithy (is the such a thing?) for the group, we can make cannons in the field. :P

Enought with the OT though, the candlestick looks great! It's the kind of thing I like because it is simple, but appealing!
Steenberg

Postby Anders L » 17 Sep 2008, 16:11

Hej hopp, här kommer min redogörelse om den där staken....

http://kurage.wordpress.com/2008/09/17/ ... stake-typ/

Lunkan, bra jobbat! Kalassnygg blev den! :)
+SVMMITVR : HINC : MVNDA : DIVINI : SANGVINIS VNDA+ DEVS : MEVS+
Herfra tages en bölge af det guddommmelige blod. Min Gud

http://www.kurage.wordpress.com -blogg about historical handcrafts and reenactment.
Anders L

Postby Louise » 17 Sep 2008, 17:41

I´m trying to find a good picture of the candle holder from Gurre castle. In the meanwhile how much does the Trelleborg thing cost if I were interested in bying one? :)
Louise

Postby Lunkan » 19 Sep 2008, 12:12

The one on the picture where sold for about 70 euros. BUT it is totally hand made. I can make a sheaper model (which will look exactly the same) for not more then 50 euro.
Lunkan
Medlem

Postby Louise » 19 Sep 2008, 13:33

That sounds really nice ...I would be willing to buy both types :)

Could you make me one?
Louise

Next

Return to Wood and metal