[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
• View topic - Lantern

Lantern

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Lantern

Postby Lunkan » 16 Oct 2008, 19:21

Any who knows any pictures or findings of lanterns during our time of intrest? I am mostly looking for metal ones but I would like to se others to.

I saw this one on spqr:

Lunkan
Medlem

Re: Lantern

Postby Johan Käll » 16 Oct 2008, 20:04

Im hunting those to. I aint actually seen anyone from our time yet...
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Peter » 17 Oct 2008, 07:47

I found something:

(samma som ovan)
- I haven't read the article, but there is a picture of a 14th century lantern there, and it is said to be Swedish.

All by just googling "14th century lantern"... Never the less - They don't seem common at all. The type that seems to be the most common during our period is the one shown in this pic:

Image.

By the way - didn't we already have this discussion?
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Steenberg » 17 Oct 2008, 09:14

Am I on the right track if you want one that shields the fire better then that open type on the second and third pic? The one in the picture in the post seems to have panels of something transluscent? Horn? There are lanterns on Nidingbanes homepage with hornpanels but I doubt they are period.
Steenberg

Postby Lunkan » 17 Oct 2008, 12:07

According to the article at http://www.markland.org/docs/lettherebelight.pdf the smithfield lantern is a 14th century one. And the Swedish one is from 15th century.
Lunkan
Medlem

Postby Johan Käll » 17 Oct 2008, 12:38

aye... and the smithfield one is on picture two and three to... so... all in all.. its on thre of the four pictures. (the first one i couldnt see)

What we mainly want one for is to carry a candle for lighting the match when we shoot.

Nidingbanes aint period, but buying them is a really good way to get those hornpanels pretty cheap...
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Lunkan » 17 Oct 2008, 12:57

Yes i agree with you, it would be really nice if we could get rid of the lighters.. I would like a smithfield, perhaps I will try making one in the future.
Lunkan
Medlem

Postby Peter » 17 Oct 2008, 13:05

Well, horn panels can be bought
No need to buy lanterns and strip them of the horn. The llantern at the first pic is somewhere in the top middle - it's a black little thing, hard to see.
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Steenberg » 17 Oct 2008, 13:51

And they sell a lantern from the 14th Century on that page? What does that one look like then? Anyone know?

And the one with horn panels shouldn't be That hard to make even though the top looks like a metal dome and that could prove tricky.
Steenberg

Postby Johan Käll » 17 Oct 2008, 14:01

Yeah sure... you couldnt beat out a metall dome Janne... :roll:

Even i could manage that with a ballhammer and a hole in a log. They aint that hard to make.. one just have to sit down and do it re4ally... IF you have the hornplates. They are a bugger to make.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Next

Return to Wood and metal