Bottles

If it doesn't fit into any of the above mentioned, post it here...

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Bottles

Postby Lunkan » 01 Sep 2008, 21:45

Found this picture among all others, the man weares a bottle made of clay in his belt, like the ones the german guy at Seeth-Ekholt had in his stash. I find them quite fancy!

Is there anyone who has any pictures of leather bottles?
Lunkan
Medlem

Re: Bottles

Postby Carl » 01 Sep 2008, 22:35

This English one is from the first half of the 14th century if I recall correctly.

I guess this one is wood but perhaps it may be of interest. From the Manesse codex.

And finally another clay one from the same source.

Any others?
Carl

Postby Isis » 01 Sep 2008, 23:01

there are two finds of siegburg stoneware bottles from the Netherlands. One is found intact (found in Einhoven), of the other only fragments are preserved (I don't recall the place it was found, i'll try to remember to look it up later this week when I have more time.
Both finds are late 14th century if I remember correctly.
Isis

Postby Johan Käll » 01 Sep 2008, 23:58

aaaaand they aint that uncommon in fleemarkets/seconhand shops.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Steenberg » 03 Sep 2008, 02:10

I have a bottle of stoneware (stengods in swedish?) made by Cecilia Jansson in Örebro. She makes a lot of historical replicas but I'm not sure if the one I have is just made with inspiration from the time or from a find. It looks just like the one in the old mans belt apart from having four places to hang it from instead of two. Surely not a problem for Cecilia to make one with only two hangers. And I'll try to find some pics of the stuff she makes if she isn't already familiar to you?
Steenberg

Postby Johan Käll » 03 Sep 2008, 03:24

oh... we know her.. but i heard she's not that active anymore?

Stonegoods is a little... old in our time. Peter has tha scope on that, he's talked to Cilla about pottery before.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Peter » 03 Sep 2008, 06:59

Stoneware is a bit too new for us, or at least it is kinda modern. Cilla is good, but she's expensive compared to "our" new potter!
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Johan Käll » 03 Sep 2008, 09:17

alright.. new it was then. Not old.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Steenberg » 03 Sep 2008, 12:14

Ah I see. I'm not sure if she's not as active as before but she still sells in Hemslöjden (A crafts shop) in town and yes, she knows to put a price on her stuff. I guessed you guys would know who she is.
Steenberg

Postby Bertus Brokamp » 03 Sep 2008, 12:39

Of course I can not speak for the Scandinavian area, but looking at the Low Countries stonewear was introduced there in the very late 13th century and had become a mass produced product and was virtually present anywhere by 1350. Especially the drinking jug was very popular. For instance in an excavation (dating 1350-1375) in the town of Amersfoort, sherds amounting to 437 individual jugs, all of the same type, were dug up! And at the site of the castle of Vianen, destroyed by 1372, sherds amounting to ca. individual 400 jugs were excavated (ca. 85 % of the total amount of ceramics found).
Of course most of the Low Countries were part of the Holy Roman Empire back then, plus situated relatively closeby the stonewear producing centers at Siegburg and Langerwehe. So maybe it took a bit longer for stonewear to reach the Scandinavian markets? Though with all the Hansa trade going on, one wonders just how long.
Bertus Brokamp

Next

Return to Other crafts