[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
• View topic - Bottles

Bottles

If it doesn't fit into any of the above mentioned, post it here...

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Re: Bottles

Postby Bertus Brokamp » 23 Sep 2008, 01:10

Just before I left on holiday two weeks ago, I hurriedly finished (text needs some revising still, and I forgot page numbers) a catalogue of Siegburg stonewear finds from the Netherlands, concentrating on 1370. Deventer Burgerscap is planning to buy such stonewear from a potter and with this catalogue our members can choose what they would like to have.
Anyway, there are two bottles in there as well. I named it type XV.
These finds might not be of help to you since they're all Dutch and you have your own books with finds from your region. On the other hand, Siegburg stonewear imported into the Low Countries probably was pretty much the same as that which was imported into Scandinavia, so at the least they offer some comparison material?

On a sidenote, with regards to the drinking jugs I found it interesting to already see a development of them first being almost straightly cilindrical at ca. 1350 but after ca. 1365-1370 showing a more narrow neck, a development signalling a further evolution towards the very late 14th and early 15th century drinking jug with the really elegant posture with slim neck and elongated look.

The catalogue:
http://www.deventerburgerscap.nl/studie ... a.1370.pdf
Bertus Brokamp

Postby Peter » 23 Sep 2008, 08:17

Bertus. I don't know what to say! Elope with you? :D
Great work!

And now, I have to admit I might have made a mistake, based on my total ignorance. I mixed up "stoneware pottery" as a group with "Siegburg pottery", as Siegburg pottery (as far as I know :) ) belongs to the "stoneware family". Stoneware has been used to an at least moderate extent in Scandinavia from the middle of the 14th century, as Bertus correctly states. What is scarce in the middle of the 14th century however, are the Siegburg vessels - they become more common towards the latter parts of the century and in the beginning of the next.

Really sorry about my mistake.
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Johan Käll » 23 Sep 2008, 09:38

Bah... why cant our continental friends learn from us and write in a language that someone understand`? ;)

The trade between That region and Sweden was quite essential anyway, so i think some of the pottery might have found its way here?
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Bertus Brokamp » 24 Sep 2008, 00:33

Never mind Peter, it´s not that I knew anything about stonewear before diving into my little stonewear research these past two months. There are so many details about the material culture to know about, one person can not know everything and quite likely does not have the interest to research it ALL either! I don´t, for example. :P

Gotta love the Dutch language hmm Johan? It´s almost the same as yours, but you just can´t read it. Just like us Dutchies have not a clue what you guys are talking about half the time. :)

Dunno why, but I just remembered a part of Monty Pythons Holy Grail movie... :

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?

See the løveli lakes

The wonderful telephøne system

And mani interesting furry animals
Bertus Brokamp

Postby Lena » 24 Sep 2008, 01:18

Lena

Postby Johan Käll » 24 Sep 2008, 16:41

I always say its a mickeymouse language of half english and half German, that... Netherlandian.

And.. we are talking of you ofcourse Bertus. thats why we keep it secret ;)
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Isis » 01 Oct 2008, 16:14

haha :) a mickeymouse language !!
you swedes are hilarious.
Isis

Postby Bertus Brokamp » 02 Oct 2008, 00:20

Sorry, can't resist:

;)
Bertus Brokamp

Postby Peter » 02 Oct 2008, 08:17

Do you know what he is saying? He actually says - "Stick to topic, or thread will be locked!" :)
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Previous

Return to Other crafts