[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
• View topic - Bottles

Bottles

If it doesn't fit into any of the above mentioned, post it here...

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Re: Bottles

Postby jboerner » 03 Sep 2008, 12:47

Stoneware was produced here in nearly all major pottery centers from the 14th century on, with export to all over europe. Very well-known was the stoneware from the rhine area, especially from langerwehe:
http://www.toepfereimuseum.de/

They have found pottery from there in northern england, france etc.

Such bottles were found all over germany, one is for instance in the German National Museum in Nurmeberg, you can find it with http://www.bildindex.de I suppose.

You can get such in the shop of the link above.
jboerner

Postby Maria » 03 Sep 2008, 16:31

Cecilia Jansson, expensive? You must be joking? Do any of you guys know how much knowledge that woman got any how much times she puts in to all her works? Good craft will cost!
Sorry OT, I know...
Sharp connection!
Maria
Medlem

Postby Peter » 03 Sep 2008, 16:38

But compared to Helmut? I know her bottles cost double compared to Helmut, and how much would Cilla charge for one of those cisterns, if she made them? Quality - yes (as I said) but the same quality for a lower price - even more yes.

Stoneware in Scandinavia is viewed to the greatest extent to be 15th century, with a "handful" examples from the late 14th century. If I am not mistaken.
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Maria » 03 Sep 2008, 16:43

Helmut is great!!!
But I believe that Cilla would have been less expensive if she would have lived in some other county. Sweden IS expensive.
It's like comparing wines from Chile and France.
Sharp connection!
Maria
Medlem

Postby Peter » 03 Sep 2008, 16:45

I believe so too. But as she doesn't live in Russia, she will have to charge 20 euros for a mug, and I would much rather buy one for 8 euros. By Swedish measurement I guess she isn't that dear, but in comparison to potters abroad, she seems to be.
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Isis » 03 Sep 2008, 21:22

the best belgian potter i know charges 30 euros for a stoneware drinking jug.
he does bake everyhting in an authentic oven based on the ones found in excavations.
his pottery is the best i have ever seen anywhere. the shapes and details are the closest to the originals. he also works as a conservator/restorator of pottery for museums.

http://users.skynet.be/fb758062/latem_n.htm
here you can see his late medieval pottery and stoneware, there is some 16th century stuff among the photo's also, and of course what you see is tipically Low Countries, and more specific Flanders. But he also makes lovely Rhineland stoneware.
Isis

Postby Hannah Bob » 03 Sep 2008, 23:05

in England most re-enactors use Jim and Emma Newboult - http://www.trinitycourtpotteries.co.uk/ ... t_home.htm

The do produce a bottle such as described here - im not sure what sources they have used but are normally very willing to share research and evidence! they retail their bottle as a 15th century pilgrim flask.

there is an example in the museum of london of A ceramic costrel, made in the Andenne region, c. 1050-1200

and also here on the belt - http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/g ... ris04.html

in The Mendel Hausbuch there are examples of Flask-makers on fols. 43v (c. 1425) and 64r (1442)
Attachments
flask maker 2.jpg
flask maker 2.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
flask maker.jpg
flask maker.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
costrel.jpg
costrel.jpg (61.77 KiB) Viewed 6315 times
Hannah Bob

Postby Hannah Bob » 03 Sep 2008, 23:18

some leather costrels - either 14th or early 15th century
Attachments
bacchus and followers drinking 1411.jpg
Works of Christine de Pisan - 1411
bacchus and followers drinking 1411.jpg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 6308 times
costrel 14th ce.jpg
from Vita et miraculae sancti Benedict
costrel 14th ce.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 6309 times
15th century costrell.jpg
15th century - located in Limerick Museum Southern Ireland.
15th century costrell.jpg (30.41 KiB) Viewed 6309 times
Hannah Bob

Postby Bertus Brokamp » 04 Sep 2008, 01:29

Bertus Brokamp

Postby Peter » 04 Sep 2008, 08:28

Hmmm... I have the book myself, if its the one written by Sawyer & Sawyer. Anyways - I am no expert what regards anything at all, and that also goes for pottery. But it is a fact, that "medieval" stoneware is scarce in museums and publications in these parts. All that I learned about pottery in archaeology class, was that Scandinavian pottery over all is kinda late; blackware is used to a great extent even until the beginning/middle of the 14th century, and earthenware dominates for a long period before stoneware really gets a grip. But then again I might still be misinformed - I often am.

[edit:] I checked this more closely in my books, and it seems like there is indeed stoneware all through the 14th century, peaking in the late 14th century and 15th century.
Peter
Styrelse

PreviousNext

Return to Other crafts