music

If it doesn't fit into any of the above mentioned, post it here...

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

music

Postby Hannah Bob » 15 Dec 2008, 23:51

hello all - sorry if this is in the wrong area i wasnt sure where to post?

I am really interested im all sorts of medieval music as i play rebec and fiddle at shows (and soon hurdy gurdy as soon as it made) but so far i have concentrated mainly of french, english and italian music but a few weeks ago i discovered a song attributed to medieval sweden - Herr Mannelig and i was wondering if any one here had any more information on it - the version i have got is by garmarna
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xWY6GMYgG ... re=related

what i am wondering is if this the original melody or if there is any other versions. and any other info about the song really - i have the translation and get the gist that its about a mountain troll trying to bribe a knight into marrying her but he wont because she is a troll and not a good christian woman!

it got me thinking because i really liked this song what other swedish medieval songs are known so hopefully i can learn to play them and incorporate into our displays

thanks
Hannah Bob

Re: music

Postby Peter » 15 Dec 2008, 23:59

Hannah

There are loads and loads of songs, but to my knowledge, none of us here are knowledgeable aneough to tell you about it. My best bet would be Erik Ask-Uppmark and Anna Rynefors - authorities on medieval music in Sweden. They might well know. If you like, I can post you their email - I'm sure they know about plenty more songs.
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Return to Other crafts