[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
• View topic - Lendenier, senftenier, huffenier

Lendenier, senftenier, huffenier

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Lendenier, senftenier, huffenier

Postby jboerner » 11 Apr 2008, 13:47

In 13th century sources, same strange things appear: the lendenier, a belt or strap the leg protection (maille stockings) are tied to. So far, so good.
But they also mention a senftenier, describing as a padding(?), at least textile, which is worn underneath that belt, und on top of this the "huffenier", described as being quilted.
Over that then the aketon comes...

Ok, so far for the 13th century and the fact I've never seen an image of that.
Now, when wearing leg armour, you know the problem: if you attach that to a belt, it hurts. Now the huffenier and lendenier seem a good solution, but how does that look?

And to bring it to the 14th century: in the limburg chronicles lendeniere are also mentioned (being made by doubletmakers, which would correspond, if it is quilted. But in the 13th century it is described as being a belt. the huffenier and the senftenier is the quilted stuff).
Considering later sources one would normally attach the leg armour in the 14th century to some kind of doublet worn underneath the aketon. Maybe without sleeves; this would correspondent with the limburg chronicles. Or? if not, how then? how does that look?

Do you have more sources on how attaching the lag armour between 1300 and 1400? what are your experiences?
jboerner

Re: Lendenier, senftenier, huffenier

Postby Johan Käll » 11 Apr 2008, 13:51

I have no idea about those things really.... had not heard about em before.

My experience on the matter is: I use a broader belt. Sure, after a couple of hours it chafes abit, but my other experience from being a modern soldier is that that life in the military. Things get uncomfortable.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby jboerner » 11 Apr 2008, 13:53

Do you wear a doublet in that case also, underneath your aketon?
jboerner

Postby Johan Käll » 11 Apr 2008, 14:08

nope... i actually dont wear anything at all.. i read something about english archer wearing not even a shirt under thier jacks in 15:th century... so i ripped that and applied to 14:th to.. But mainly to keep my shirts sweatfree for after the battle, and i dont want it to give me weltburns when it tussles up under the armour.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby jboerner » 11 Apr 2008, 14:15

Huh, that sounds quite hot and uncomfortable to me ;) The written sources generally claim the armour to be worn over the "uderwât" (underwear), I personally prefer that, because when you seat, the shirt becomes wet, and that cools because of the evaporation. Then you wear the belt for the leg armour on your nacked torso?
jboerner

Postby Johan Käll » 11 Apr 2008, 14:24

Well..i wear big swedish style braes. I have it over thoose. I guess im just a little bit tougher then most.... ;)

Or more stupid.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Peter » 11 Apr 2008, 21:13

Really interesting, this. But sdaly I have to agree with Johan - I have never heard of it, or seen it. Then again, I'm not much of an "armor man", and Swedish sources generally are scarce...
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Bertus Brokamp » 12 Apr 2008, 00:36

Bertus Brokamp

Postby Peter » 12 Apr 2008, 09:36

I just realized that the word "länd" means "hip" in Swedish - hip as in the part of the body, not as in cool 8-)
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Bertus Brokamp » 12 Apr 2008, 09:58

In Dutch the word lende means the same as the following definition of the English work loin (googled: http://www.answers.com/topic/loin?cat=health):

1. The part of the body of a human or quadruped on either side of the backbone and between the ribs and hips.
2. One of several cuts of meat, such as tenderloin, taken from this part of an animal's body, typically including the vertebrae of the segment from which it is taken.
3. loins
a. The region of the hips, groin, and lower abdomen.
b. The reproductive organs.

[Middle English loine, from Old French loigne, from Vulgar Latin *lumbea (carō), loin (meat), feminine of *lumbeus, of the loin, from Latin lumbus, loin.]
Bertus Brokamp

Next

Return to Arms & Armour