Effigies of female clothing

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Re: Effigies of female clothing

Postby Johan Käll » 17 Jul 2008, 12:58

you dont think that, for example a banquette would have been a occasion to wear one?
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Isis » 17 Jul 2008, 13:41

I just found another example of the same type of hood as in La Sarraz in an Italian manuscript.
1370-1380 - Guiron le Courtois - BNF, Nouvelle acquisition française 5243

There are several other examples of this hood in the manuscript, but I'll stick to just posting one folio.
Attachments
Nouvelle acquisition française 5243, fol. 3v, Blioberis et le messager de Gaunes.jpg
Nouvelle acquisition française 5243, fol. 3v, Blioberis et le messager de Gaunes.jpg (112.64 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
Isis

Postby jboerner » 17 Jul 2008, 16:07

Johan Käll wrote:you dont think that, for example a banquette would have been a occasion to wear one?

I have no evidences for that. Maybe, if it is an official event of high prestige.
But even if, I know no real 14th century banquette events ;)
To be honest, we hardly see any posibilities to wear the fancy stuff.
Morimondo normally had been one (considering the fact they use to have a tournament on foot or such, on a battle camp situations this makes no sense, of course), but this year "it fell into the water" (don#t know, if the phrase is used in english also) ;)

There are numerous interesting things to reconstruct, but for which there is hardly any use.
jboerner

Postby Johan Käll » 17 Jul 2008, 16:23

Of, Carnis has had some real banquettes where one could use the best fineries possible.

i get you point though. I have some 'fineplunder' (a silk brocade double and a silly hat) That i virtually never get a chance to use.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Hannah Bob » 17 Jul 2008, 20:40

jboerner wrote:Maybe I misunderstand that topic. But surcots with heraldic decoration did definetly exist; they are described quite often in england and france of the 14th century, and there are images up to the 15th or even 16th century. Theay were worn at special events, such as tournaments. Myriam once started to create such- but due to the fact, that we will probably never attend a real tournament in the 14th century, she has stopped the project.

its true - in fact i am currently in the process of making 2 heraldic surcottes for in our group you earn your rank and thus far i have earned the rank of lady in waiting and in order for me to assume my right as Lady in my own right (with my own household etc) i have to have a heraldic dress made up. (and a whole load of other things!!) its an interesting project especially because i will probably wear it once (for the banquet ceremony held in my honour at becoming a Lady - obviously not authentic as no such occasion existed its kind of my equivalent of a Knighting ceremony!)
right enough boring you about my groups politics and structure!!
Hannah Bob

Postby Bertus Brokamp » 01 Aug 2008, 18:09

On the topic of men & hoods with button closure:

Unde di junge menner drugen alle meistlichen gekneufte kogeln als di frauwen, unde di kogeln werten bi drissig jar, da vurgingen si.

My translation:
"And most of the young men wore buttoned hoods like the women, and these hoods (fashion) lasted over 30 years and then dissapeared."

From the Limburger Chronik, an entry probably describing the ca. 1360-1390 era.
Bertus Brokamp

Postby Maria » 02 Aug 2008, 11:31

That lovely- don't you all guys just looove making buttons and button holes?! ;)
Sharp connection!
Maria
Medlem

Postby Bertus Brokamp » 04 Aug 2008, 12:32

Quite!

yes, that was sarcasm!

oh well, there's this Dutch proverb Wie mooi wil zijn, moet pijn lijden (he who wants to be pretty, has to suffer)
Bertus Brokamp

Postby Peter » 04 Aug 2008, 13:03

Vill du vara fin får du lida pin!
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby jboerner » 04 Aug 2008, 14:02

To be honest, Myriam does most of the buttons. We don't have many of the newer garments online, and have hardly worn them in italy- but concerning how ugly my buttonsholes look, with more than 200 buttonholes per garment they would look aweful ;)
Normally I'm doing the tailoring and half or one quarter of the sewing, Myriam the remaining or the sewing completly.... she's also faster than me. 30 Buttonholes within less than one hour...
jboerner

PreviousNext

Return to Art History and History