[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
• View topic - Looking for pictures of Queen Eufemia's tomb

Looking for pictures of Queen Eufemia's tomb

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Looking for pictures of Queen Eufemia's tomb

Postby Elina » 17 Sep 2009, 18:31

I've become very interested in making a dress that is on one of the figures on the tomb of Queen Eufemia in Soro klosterkirke in Denmark. It is a surcoat with very interesting pleating, and it is worn by a woman figure with a crown. Next to her, there is a kneeling man in fashionable 14th century clothing. There is a picture of it in C.L Dahl's "Ath prydae synae claeder" on page 4.

Now I'm looking for all the info I can find. Does anyone have a source for pictures of this monument?

I also found some info in Marianne Vedeler's thesis that this dress is also mentioned in Camilla Luise Dahl's book "Dragt og pragt i Middelalderen". Does anyone here have this book at hand or would you know where to get it from?
Elina

Re: Looking for pictures of Queen Eufemia's tomb

Postby Louise » 17 Sep 2009, 19:02

I can probably help you with that. Where is a small little article about the tombplate which have ok pics of the dress and such. The article is mainly about the date of the plate. I also have the book mentioned "Dragt og magt" and might be able to get the book for you. Or I could copy the pages and the small articel and send to you?

I´ll look around for more info and return.
Louise

Postby Peter » 17 Sep 2009, 19:07

To which time is it dated?
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Elina » 17 Sep 2009, 19:47

Louise, any of what you suggest would be great! Thank you so much already in advance!

Peter, the little booklet I have says it's dated to ca. 1365. Queen Eufemia wears a fabulous frilled veil and a fantastic amounts of bezants on her clothing. The dress on the crowned girl is a lot more simple, but it seems to have interesting pleats on it. Ever since reading Marianne Vedeler's dissertation on the Uvdal finds, I've been itching to make a pleated dress. However the Uvdal ones aren't actually very flattering; but this one looks like something one would actually be happy wearing.
Elina

Postby Elina » 17 Sep 2009, 19:55

Googling just now, I found this set with some nice pictures of the tomb, but unfortunately no close-ups of the dress I'm looking for.

This was the tomb I was talking about:
Elina

Return to Art History and History