Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Postby Raubritter » 04 Jul 2008, 21:25

Hey i was looking up on the internet to find something about the battle of Asle from 1389 (aesle???) but nothing :( do you have some information?
Raubritter

Re: 1389

Postby Johan Käll » 04 Jul 2008, 21:50

Ahh.. the battle of Åsle... 24 Febuary 1389

Of corse. It is the battle where King albrecht lost to Queen Margret. It was fought a bit after new year. King albrecht is said to have marched up from Kalmar, stopped at Rumlaborg in Jönköping and then procded to the the battle (wich is situated between Jönköping and Falköping)

The danish forces is said to have been around 1500 riders and footsoldiers under the command of Henrik Parow. The danes take up a position between Mösseberg (a hill) and a swamp. Infront of them the ground is watersick.

Some sources say Albrecht had more men, some say he had less then the danes. He advances upon the danes never the less, in spite of 'an old knights' suggestions. The ground will not hold the heavy knights and most of then get stuck in the ice/snow muck on the field. A few knight, among them The Snakenborg brothers (Heyne and Gert), Henrik van Ouwen and about 60 men, makes it to the danish lines. Seeing that they are virtually the only ones making it there, they trun "and unmanly fled", as the books calls it.. (i would to if i was the only one making it to the 1500 danes....) when attacked by Erik Kettilssons force.

The swedish force in disarray, Albrecht exclaims "Ooooh.. why didnt i listen to your advice old man".

The King and his son is taken prisoner, along with the bishop of Skara. All the germans is freed by ransom (except the king and his son). The chronicles says that 20 german knights and 8 swedish or danish ones died in the battle, squires (svenner) uncounted. One of the dead was Henrik Parow.

This is according to the book "Medieval swedish wars"

Tjhis battle is considered the battle where Albrecht lost his crown and his kingdom to the danish queen.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Raubritter » 04 Jul 2008, 22:04

Thanks Johan, now i know a little bi more and i can understand why i do not found anything about this battle on swedesh site´s ..... ;-) it would be fun to make that battle reenacted!
Raubritter

Postby Johan Käll » 05 Jul 2008, 00:07

hehe... we are not the french.. the swedes dont fear to reenact losses (other then the gotlöanders.. but they are a special kind) But i think there is a general lack of information about swedish history in other languages then our own obscure one.

like this http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaget_vid_%C3%85sle
http://web.telia.com/~u50007279/krigen/slag_1493.htm
http://www.wadbring.com/historia/sidor/aasled.htm

Sure it would be fun to reenact. We have been thinking of it, but we would need to be able to house people, since most of you southern folks aint used to sleeping in tents during febuari... the coldest of the months up here. Its just really a matter of scouting the area...im sure there will be someplace to hole people up... but i dont know if there will be much public interest in the middle of winter.. but who knows? its not all to uncommon with medieval wintermarkets. Maybe there can be some interest...

Otherwise its a good battle. Well known, of big importance to swedish history (as opposed to battle of Wisby.. well known.. but very significant strategiglly) and on a place we think we know where it is (many places of swedish battles have never been located more the in a general vicinity)

We'll see if it will happen in the future. You'll have to be danish of course ;)

to makwe a little note of the battle.. one cant really say that it was a battle between danes and Swedes. There was swedes on both sides, some that thought that Albrecht was a good king, and some that thought that Margret was the new thing. The nobles of sweden was almost always in opposition to the king in these days, and when Albrecht didnt prove to be as easy to control as they thought (to many german knights to his help...) they turned to Margret. Of course they tired of her to in a couple of years...

Why this sudden interest in swedish battles?
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Peter » 06 Jul 2008, 12:39

Oh yeah - Henrik Parow. Formerly one of the King's own men. Maybe ten years before the battle he was the Vogt of Lindholmen, and granted the town of Ystad renewed privilegies. Then the traitorous bastard shows up to lead the opposing force - against his own lord and master! May he rot in hell! :)
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Raubritter » 06 Jul 2008, 13:52

Hi Johan, Peter.....

Why i have this interest in Swedish battles?! Maybe you remember last year in Kalmar one one of this long nights we had a good talk about the medieval military strategy of Tirol and Sweden, quite similar to two facts, first of the special geographic ground consistency (horse attacks were very rare) and the fact that we have not this glamorous knighthood as for example in France, England, Germany and Burgund. Basically the poor nobleman here have been more farmers then knights…. And we lost nearly all the battles between 1380 to 1413.

Sempach (Switzerland) 1386 against the Swiss from Luzerne lost
Näfels (Switzerland) 1387 against the Swiss from Glarus lost
Brescia (Italy) 1401 against the Visconti from Milano lost
Vöglingseck (Switzerland)1403 against the Swiss from Appenzell lost
Stoss (Switzerland)1405 against the Swiss from Appenzell lost
Zams (Tirol) 1406 against the Swiss from Appenzell lost
Imst (Tirol) 1406 against the Swiss from Appenzell lost
Bregenz (Tirol) 1408 against the Swiss from Appenzell VICTORY!!!! (but with help from German knights)
Volders (Tirol) 1410 against the Duke of Wittesbach Bayern remis/draw
Hall (Tirol) 1413 against the Duke of Wittelsbach Bayern remis/draw

You can see we have not been so successful. :shock:

The battles above have been small ones and mostly fight by food. Against the Swiss it was always against a Swiss army composed by farmers city militia and some mercenaries.
Raubritter

Postby Peter » 06 Jul 2008, 17:35

That is indeed similar circumstances! I never thought about that. This is really interesting. Let's see if we can dig up anything more.
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Johan Käll » 06 Jul 2008, 18:03

Except we didnt loose all battles... But then agian some would say that the swedes fought for Margret in those years.. and that Albrechts people was just 'germans'. The truth lies somewhere in between i guess. There would be germans and swedes on both sides in most battles. But only Danes on the danish side ;)

to bad we cant list any battles as most of the years between 1380-1400 are a mish mash of raids, siges and trying to annoy eachother between danes, swedes and russians (Novgorodians). Battle of Åsle is one of the few real showdowns.

Seen as it is, its a perfect age for reenacment really. Small forces are battling it out with eachother. No big 50.000 men battles (reenacted by 150 guys in between the cowdroppings in a field) . Small skirmishes would be easy to reenact with the people we actually have.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby jboerner » 07 Jul 2008, 09:34

I'm not sure if you can call knighthood in germany "glamorous".
Of course there were some knights who had aneough wealth as to show it on a regular basis, but there was a huge number of local landowners, who had hardly anything valueable to give to their oldest son, not talking of the other ones. And the situation was similar in france, too, though before the 100years war they had been generally more wealthy than in england.
Especially southern france was quite poor.
And as for the battles, in fact the battle of mühldorf was the last (bigger) batlle fought on horseback in germany. During the "Städtekriege" there were lots of small ambushes mostly fought on foot...
jboerner

Postby Peter » 14 Jul 2010, 17:05

Let's breathe some life into this one. This account, from the Mecklenburgisches Urkundenbuch, is written in 1389, February 24 ("Bei Axewall"). I'll try to translate it. I have left out some words - it is not an exact word-to-word translation. Please correct me if you feel I have made mistakes.

In deme jare Cristi, in sunte Mathias dage, was grot strid in Sweden bi Axewalde. De koninghinne van Norwegen hadde dar sand wol vifteynhundert gewapent, der hovetman was en riddere, de heet her Hinrik Parowe. Do se quemen to Juneköpinghe, do wart dat hern Alberte koninghe to Sweden, to wetene, wente he was alrede uppe der reyse unde wolde Axewalde spisen. Dar let he af unde toch sinen vianden, alse tu den Denen ok en del der Sweden.

In this year of Christ, in the day of Saint Matthew, there was a great battle in Sweden by Axvalla. The queen of Norway [Margareta] had sent 1500 armed [men], and the captain was a knight called Henrik Parow. When they came to Jönköping, the lord Albrecht, King of Sweden, was already marching towards Axvalla. There he fought his enemies, some [of them] Danes and some [of them] Swedes.

He hadde mit sik sinen sone, sine vedderen, hertogen Johans sone von Stargarden, de was bisscop to Scahre, enen jungen heren, enen greven van Holsten unde den greven van Reppin. De konink was gherich to deme stride unde hastede also sere, dat de sine nicht al rede werden kunden. Do se to striden quemen, do hadde de konink dat erste aventure, also dat he mit den sinen twe banre nedergink. Men dat warde nicht langhe. De konink vorlos den strid, he wart gevangen mit den heren, de hir vor benomet sint, unde allent, dat mit em up deme velde was, ane de enwech vloen. Besunder vlo en, de het Gherd Snakenborch, unde was sin erste ridderdach, unde nam mit sik wol 60 gewapent, de alle vloen; unde was en grot sake, dat de strid vorloren wart.

He brought his son, his cousin - the son of hertig Johan von Stargarden, who was bishop in Skara, a young lord, the greve of Holstein and the greve of Reppin. The king was eager to fight, and made such haste that his men did not have time to prepare themselves. When they got to the battle, the king made the first encounter with the enemy, and conquered two banners. But his triumph did not last for long. The king lost the battle and was captured alongside the lords mentioned above. All the others fled the field - in particular one called Gerhard Snakenborg, [suggestion: It was hist first day as a knight] with about 60 armed men. They lost the battle, and it was of great importance.

In der tyd, alse men stridde, do was de koninghinne tho Wardberge in Hallande. Do er de bodescap quam, dat de ere den strid gewunnen hadden, do reet se to Bahusen. Er was leve; se entfenk de heren, de dar gevangen weren. In der sulven nacht leth se koning Alberte so we don, dat se eme afschattede Axewalde unde de Rummelborch. Ok wolde se em afgeschattet hebben Örebro, men det enkunde er nich werden; de sake was: de hovetman, de dat inne hadde, de was en Dudesche unde wyste mer van orloges donde, wen en ander.

Meanwhile, as the battle was taking place, the queen resided in Varberg in Halland. When she received the message that the battle was won, she rode to Bohus. She [entfenk - released??] the army that was captured. That same night [leth se] king Albrecht [so we don] so she could plunder Axvalla and Rumlaborg, and wanted to plunder Örebro. She could not, because the commander of the town was a German that knew more of war than most others.
Peter
Styrelse

Next

Return to Art History and History