[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
• View topic - 14th century events

14th century events

Events arranged by other groups or employers are discussed here. Invitations to events can also be posted here. Available to: registered users, proselyter, medlemmar

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Re: 14th century events

Postby Hyväri » 17 Jul 2008, 20:21

Thank you. Indeed we have often discussed the siege of Turku/Åbo castle in winter 1364 as a possibility for a larger battle re-enactment. We would propably need help from oversea to make the battle big enough to reach any believable scale;). King Albrecht besieged the castle and won it after months of siege. The castle was heavily modified and rebuilt after, so it was not just out of starvation it surrendered (difficult to starve a castle that has all its winter storages).

No. The russians are not taking part in our fights. We have had some russians as our guests (nice people), but we would not fight with them. Their style is unhealthy and finnish authorities let alone insurance companies would have difficult time understanding damage done. Also it is widely agreed among finnish warriors that our hobby is not worth getting injured. But I will write more about that in some other gategory. This particular event is arranged strictly on invitation basis. This is so, that we can better monitor the quality and authenticity of the presentation.

Yes. It is a lamellar armour (The man with the red coat in picture 13 is actually one of our handgunners and I'm sorry there are no pictures of him firing, but you allready know what that is like ;)). We have agreed lamellar is something a finnish soldier of the period might wear, since it was widely used by russians at the period (so it could be pillaged). Actually there is an archeological find of pieces of lamellar from the Vanhalinna hilfort just outside of Turku/Åbo. Those are most likely 13th century, because there were also crossbow bolts from the same excavation. We do not know for sure. Could be earlier, could be later...
*** "Let's face it. This isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing..." Tony Stark ***
Hyväri

Postby Johan Käll » 17 Jul 2008, 20:34

I agree with you that the finns might have used russian equipment. I even think more swedes might have used russian stuff. We have a bit of divided thought on it though... evevn if it SEEMS logical we see no proof of that they used captured russian equipment.. but i would think it odd. Id like to se more slavic helmets really :lol:

Its also good to see you dont share the russians wiev of fighting (i know the finns think they are soooo sisu at times and have to be so hard and tough...). Maybe the Battle we hold at Ystad is something you might consider a visit to?

Keep us posted about Turku, i personally would love more cooperation between finns and swedes. After all, we where very much integrated in the 14:th century.

And while im at it.. did perhaps Maria point you to this page?
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Peter » 18 Jul 2008, 08:14

I agree with Johan. It would be cool to go to Finland and have exchange. I've never even been there (half-Dane as I am ;)) so it would be an experience in its own right.
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Isis » 18 Jul 2008, 11:17

we'd love to come to finland, but the trip would be quite expensive for us dutchmen and women!
Isis

Postby Raubritter » 18 Jul 2008, 21:09

why is scandinavia so far away....... :shock:
Raubritter

Postby Peter » 18 Jul 2008, 22:16

I think it's about exactly as far as Südtirol :)
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Hyväri » 20 Jul 2008, 22:09

*** "Let's face it. This isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing..." Tony Stark ***
Hyväri

Postby Johan Käll » 20 Jul 2008, 22:26

oh, just that Maria said she had directed some finnish brother to this forum. i wondered if it was you. thats all.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby jboerner » 21 Jul 2008, 14:14

I've been to turku several times (visiting the market, not the siege), I have already heard that there's another event also, but did not expect such quality, to be honest.
Well, maybe some day as a visit, but not with camp, never ;)
jboerner

Postby Ronnie » 09 May 2009, 10:49

Hello everybody ..

I'm not sure if you are allready know these pages, but maybe you are interessted : Most of the finnish medieval events are listed here: http://www.keskiaika.fi/ .

If somebody is interessted in some pictures from the Turkun keskiaika markinat - let me know :)

Regards,

Ronnie
Ronnie

PreviousNext

Return to Business and Pleasure