[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
• View topic - 14th century events

14th century events

Events arranged by other groups or employers are discussed here. Invitations to events can also be posted here. Available to: registered users, proselyter, medlemmar

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Re: 14th century events

Postby Hyväri » 18 Sep 2009, 08:20

We had again a small medieval camp presentation at the Turku castle (Åbo slott/Turun linna) at the same time as the city had their medieval market. There are some pictures here under 2009 category:
http://www.kuvahuone.eu/

It is a pity that the pictures were not taken during our siege fight training. But I will post pictures of that if can get hold of any. We had four handgonnes in it too;). The pictures have been taken during a lul in action and altough you propably cannot see it from these pictures the event year was 1439. That was the year the city culture centre wanted for this years event and the castle agreed altough both of the organising living history societies of the camp concentrate around year 1400. The WarusSeppäin kilta is at the moment 1389 and Vapaakomppania is 1409. So almost all of our equipment was a bit out of date for the event. This does not bother the city cultural centre event organisers or even the museum, for them it seems medieval times are just one homogenous block. First page pictures are from our event at the castle and the rest are from a "mystery play" organised and played both at the castle and at the market. It was not half bad either...

We were planning a bigger event for this autumn at the castle, but we had to cancel it because the castle is under some repairs. There are cranes, aluminium ladders and builders barracks all over the castle walls. So we thought that this is not a proper setting for our event. While this was a disappointment to us, it is a good thing we had not sent any invitations abroad. It is of course also a good thing that the castle (quite suprisingly) found funding for these renovations. It seems that in Finland at least all public funding has stopped because of the depression.

The event during marketdays in midsummer is mainly organised for the public while our idea for the autumn event would be more for the participants. This autunm we will do only what we do usually at this time of year. We will go to the forest.
*** "Let's face it. This isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing..." Tony Stark ***
Hyväri

Postby Peter » 18 Sep 2009, 11:54

I'm looking forward to an invitation next autumn then! Real nice pics as well!
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Hyväri » 10 Mar 2010, 20:51

Grünwald/Tannenberg/Zalgiris was one of the largest battles in the medieval times. The Toutonic order of Knights was defeated by joined force of Polish and Lithuanian armies. The battle was fought in june of the year 1410 and so is actually not a 14th century event as such. I posted about it here anyway because the early 14th century resembled the earlier century in so many ways. The many names of the battle come from the three main protagonist languages. To the polish it is Grünwald. To the germans it is the Tannenberg and the Lithuanians speak of it as the Zalgiris.

I have taken part in the re-enactment of this battle for a couple of times and I am going to do the same this year. I will be fighting on the polish side. The battle was fought near the Baltic sea and so a finnish mercenary or ex-vitalian could have taken part. Both armeis employed a lot of allies and mercenaries from neighbouring states. On the german side there were rich crusaders from West-Europe. Actually the Kalmari union was in sort of war against the Teutonic order at the time.

The event is big. Earlier years have seen some 1500 warriors, hundreds of arrows in the air, dozens of horses, and cannonnade. I do not even know how many re-enactors other than the warriors there are in the event, but the audience numbers in tens of thousands. It is an important date to Poland, as this is the one time in history they have actually defeated germans in war. A bussload (some 42 persons) of us finns are going this year. The event lasts for the whole week, but the battle is on saturday 17.7. on the actual battleground near the memorial museum.

The medieval camp streches on and on around the battlefield by a narrow area of forest. The horses have their pens in between many camps that are arranged by the flags or units taking part in the battle. There are two market areas. One is a modern market area with caroussels and such and the other is a medieval market, where you can buy many things the re-enactor might need in an affordable prize (I bought a kettle last year). Here is a link to the event pages:
http://www.grunwald1410.pl/

The battle is preorganised and coreographed. Well, not every swordblow is goreographed, what I mean is, the units move like their historical predecessors and start to be destroyed on a pre arranged moment following the original course of the historical battle. So fighting is rather civil and does give a proper feel on what it must have seemed from the soldiers point of wiev in a wery big battle. Some of the bela-russians fight more agressively (I would say badly), but they are pitched against each other and cause no harm to anyone else.

Here are some pictures of the event from couple of years ago. As you can see the authenticity is mostly quite good alltough some exeptions may be seen. The rules for authenticity have gotten stricter by the years. You can see me in the wery first picture. I am the one wearing the kettlehat (:
http://tapety25.bdl.pl/galeria3/display ... m=50&pos=0
*** "Let's face it. This isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing..." Tony Stark ***
Hyväri

Postby jboerner » 24 Mar 2010, 20:03

How's the quality of the camp now? In the past it seems to had been -well-not that good...
jboerner

Postby johan i lund » 25 Mar 2010, 09:12

Some of us are actually going to this event. A swedish group that portrays the teutonic order that we're close friends to are going so we are all obeyed to take the cross and join in.
Looking forward to meeting you there, if it is possible at all that is, with so many participents...
Pro Stupiditate ad Mortem!
johan i lund
Styrelse

Postby Hyväri » 25 Mar 2010, 18:14

We will be stationed at the "Camp Babylon" (wich is the camp in the event where most foreigners fighting on polish side are stationed -hence the name) and most of us will be fighting under the Krakow banner. Some of us will be also in the archer unit. There will also be the "Paksun Katariinan tykkisisarkunta", a group of finnish girls who will bring the biggest cannon of the event. Link to their fotogallery:

http://tykkisisarkunta.fi/kuvagalleria/

I have only ever stayed at the Camp Babylon, so I do not know much about the other camps during the event. The Camp Babylon is an open for audience during the day. The audience is not however let to roam freely around tents, rather they have marked passageways, from wich they have a look at the camp. This is why the organisers asked for us to send pictures of both our battlekit and the "civillian" dress we are wearing in the camp. The camp is free from all modern items exept hidden necessities. The common facilities of the many camps have been organised moderately well. The toilets are numerous and each banner/unit/camp has its own set of keys for toilets reserved only for them, so they also stay clean for the duration of the event. There is running water for basic cleaning up and a number of shower closets (like you really required one, when you are depicting a medieval military campaing).

Quality is difficult to measure, exept in comparisson. I have enjoyed the athmosphere, and have no complaints. The polish are charming hosts. Only really stoopid thing in the whole event is the "buhurt" competitive fights during the days before the actual battle, but only a couple of handfuls of idiots join those anymore anyway.
Hyväri

Postby Hyväri » 11 Jul 2010, 02:52

Hyväri

Postby Johan Käll » 11 Jul 2010, 11:56

Our Group will have none there since our armour is not thick enough to use on the field.

But Maria is going with her other group and there is quite some swedes. Their banner is a gonfalon with the black cross of the order and "deus Vult" on the bottom, they also have a belltower with them and use to pray all the prayers of the order during the day.

The Komtur of the camp is named Oskar and is a close friend of mine.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Maria » 12 Jul 2010, 18:08

Actually- I'm just sending my husband. I will stay at home. I heard it is, right now, 38 degrees C in the shadow. So I don't feel like bringing my 4 months old baby to that climate...

But I will probably regret it. :(
Sharp connection!
Maria
Medlem

Postby Hyväri » 03 Aug 2010, 22:06

Yes, it was wery hot indeed. The camps are so big and so much is going on all the time, so I did not find any of you swedish people. So much for regrets. It was fun (and did I say hot). Few of our guys in the heavy infantry did boiled.

When one is a part of 100 man strong unit one does not even expect to see much of the battle, but our handgonners (some of wich were finns) who were shooting before our unit charged saw the whole battle. Finns who were in the artillery said that at some point there was so much smoke they could barely see their cannon. Our guys who were in the light infantry said the same. They were fighting close to the cannons.

Here is me after battle, and "just about to die" of heat and exhaustion:
http://www.romafoto.pl/images/phocagall ... _l_567.jpg

Also a film that somebody made, but wich tells the story in a miniature version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbvklTAWj84

Anyway some of us have been thinking about organising a sort of fighters meeting for the finnish medieval enthusiasts. Maybe a weekend later in the autumn or early spring. Such an event, that we would have some training, discussion about the rules, maybe few scenarios in the forest and of course the sauna. So, I got to thinking, that maybe you have done something similar and could give some sort of advice or ideas?
Hyväri

PreviousNext

Return to Business and Pleasure