[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
• View topic - Weekend on a 14:th cent. warship

Weekend on a 14:th cent. warship

Events arranged by other groups or employers are discussed here. Invitations to events can also be posted here. Available to: registered users, proselyter, medlemmar

Moderator: Johan Sjöberg

Re: Weekend on a 14:th cent. warship

Postby Maria » 01 Jun 2008, 21:08

They wouldn't dare to cut women out. Not with me and Eli in the group. :twisted:
Sharp connection!
Maria
Medlem

Postby Morgan » 05 Jun 2008, 00:49

Multigender Warship!! Raaaagh!!!!

Send forth the babies! Women and children first! Forwards! :D

So how many are we planing for? It sounds like we have alot of people interessted here!
Morgan

Postby Max Gullberg » 05 Jun 2008, 07:54

Max Gullberg

Postby Johan Käll » 05 Jun 2008, 09:24

As stated earlier Morgan it has a crew of 20. so between 20-30
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Peter » 22 Aug 2008, 21:09

Our friends of Gesellschaft des Elefanten hav written me and they are asking about more information, preliminary dates and such. What do I tell them?
Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby Johan Käll » 22 Aug 2008, 22:19

Tell them the truth. That i have not yet started to more then sarching for the right threads to pull, but will do so now when the season is over. And that my aim will be sometime in august.

At the moment im locating the right people to approach. I have done so with one but have not gotten any answer.. but since i know him fairly well, i'll get in his hair soon enough.
Johan Käll
Medlem

Postby Hyväri » 29 Oct 2008, 20:09

Really beautiful ship is Helga!

I have seen the model and what remains of the original one in Stockholm Medeltids museet, but I did not know you have made a reconstruction of it. Wonderfull!!!

It reminds me of our ship. I happen to be a part of a crew of a rather similarly built reconstruction called Sotka. I also took part in building it from the wery beginnig.

Here is a link to our swedish net page:
http://www.viikinkiajanlaiva.net/etusivu_swe.html

Here it is in english:
http://www.viikinkiajanlaiva.net/etusivu_eng.html

And some photos:
http://www.viikinkiajanlaiva.net/kuvia.htm

The measurments of our ship are length 12,5 m width 3,1 m depth 0,5 m (the rudder goes deeper but it is adjustible) and the mast is 9 m tall. The current sail is about 30 square meeters. So it is a small boat in comparrison to mighty Helga holm.

We are plannig to sail the ship to Åland and the Saltvik event next summer, so maybe we will see there Max?

The name of the society is Viikinkiajan laiva, wich roughly translates as Viking age ship. That name was taken when we started to build the reconstruction. At that time the radiocarbon dating suggested the original ship to have been build somewhere between years 1000 and 1200. So we could have set the name just as well as the Crusade period ship, but ofcourse it would not have had quite the same ring to it. Anyway later studies have suggested that the original ship could have been in use still in the early 14th century. This still remains speculated information. Because the original study of the ship suggested that it had a side rudder or steer and because similar ships were in use allready in the viking age and even before, we desided not to change the name of the society ;)

There are actually several ship burials in the coastal area of Finland from the merovingian- or Vendelperiod (as it is called in Sweden, and more accuret name the latter is for it). They are all burnt so only the rivets remain, but the largest had over 800 rivets, suggesting a large vessel for the period at hand...

Does Helga Holm have an internet site?
*** "Let's face it. This isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing..." Tony Stark ***
Hyväri

Postby Peter » 29 Oct 2008, 20:38

Mordlysten krigsman, rå och hård i hjertat,
Och med ett samvete som helvet rymligt,
Skall rasa fritt med blodbestänkta händer
Och meja edra friska jungfrur af
Och edra fagra spenabarn som gräs
Peter
Styrelse

Postby RichardDeMaule » 16 Nov 2008, 12:42

I think it sounds like a SUPER idea! I want to come, and I'm sure my Norwegian mates in Kongshirden1308 would also like to join in... although I guess it might get too crowded...
RichardDeMaule

Previous

Return to Business and Pleasure